British Exploring Society is closely monitoring the developing Coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak. We will review and update this general information as and when any significant changes occur.
The Home Office https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus-covid-19-information-for-the-public and NHS websites are also being regularly updated. https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/
General Information in relation to Coronavirus
- British Exploring Society does not travel to areas against Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) advice. We monitor the FCO closely in advance of all our overseas expeditions. The FCO includes advice in relation to the risk of Coronavirus.
- At the moment, the FCO advises against all but essential travel for a period of 30 days, taking effect from the 17th March.
- We will continue to monitor the situation closely and update you as and when we have more information about overseas travel.
- We follow all NHS/UK Chief Medical officer/health authority advice and our own Chief Medical Advisor in relation to all our activities.
- We have postponed our March and April training events and will be in touch with you directly if these effect you.
- All further training events scheduled for later in the year will be reviewed in due course and notifications made where applicable.
- Expect to receive specific and direct notification if there are any further changes that effect you.
- Where training or residential events have not been cancelled, attendees should not attend where they have any symptoms of the Coronavirus.
- Please visit the NHS 111 website (link above) for guidance on symptoms to look out for and what actions to take to prevent the spread of disease
- Where expedition programmes are still expected to go ahead, we will look into alternative arrangements to ensure you have had the training you need to participate.
- All our Explorers and Leaders are insured for travel with us with Millstream. If we travel to any country cleared by the FCO, we are covered by Millstream.
- If we travel to a country where FCO advice subsequently changes to only essential travel, and we make arrangements to leave, this is called ‘curtailment’ and is covered by our insurance policy.
- Millstream does not cover claims where a participant is disinclined to travel, but where the FCO says it is safe to do so.