Landmark Scottish Highlands
Explore Scotland by land and loch
Start your journey to the Scottish Highlands with British Exploring Society today and explore this vast beautiful landscape by foot and canoe.
During the expedition, you may choose to explore some of the islands on 15-mile-long Loch Tay by canoe, making camp on its shores. You may choose to trek around or over some of the local munros (mountains over 3,000 ft / 914m). You may choose to lead on a biodiversity project studying local flora and fauna. Or you may choose to do all three – with no set itinerary, you can shape your adventures during this programme.
Led by experts, the expedition has been designed to take you out of your comfort zone in a challenging yet safe environment, with a real focus on the skills and personal development you will gain from the experience. The safety and support of our Young Explorers is the cornerstone on which we build and develop an expedition from conception through to departure and return.
The vast majority of young people return from our expeditions with a wealth of newfound practical skills, new friends-for-life and a real sense of personal development – all of which can have tangible benefits for the future.
This programme includes a fundraising challenge and training to prepare you for expedition.
- No longer accepting applications
- Age 16-25
- Explorers to fundraise towards the charity
- 1) 2nd – 14th August or 2) 16th – 28th August
- Visa not required for British passport holders
- No vaccinations needed other than vaccines for Life in the UK
It's changed the way I look at my future. I now feel confident in myself and my ability to push my limits.
- British Exploring Society Expedition Certificate
- John Muir Explorer Award Certificate
- Support with your Duke of Edinburgh Award (residential only)
- Participation in our Next Steps reunion and reflection event
- Lifetime membership of British Exploring Society
- Support to continue your development journey after expedition
- You will have the opportunity to explore the natural world, being mentored and supported by expert leaders, expedition medics, scientists and adventure professionals
- Work towards a Fundraising Challenge to develop your confidence and gain invaluable skills to help you in adult life and employment
- Learn through adventure, science and media projects and adapt to live in the outdoors, camping in the wild using Trangia stoves
- Build your character, resilience, determination and teamwork abilities while exploring amazing outdoor spaces
EXPLORE IMAGES FROM SIMILAR EXPEDITIONS
It doesn't matter where your starting point is; you'll return with more confidence in your own abilities; greater resilience, determination and courage - and a sense of self-belief that will stay with you for life.