Start your journey to the Saimaa Lakes
A rare chance to experience true adventure both at home and overseas.
Landmark is an expedition programme that takes British Exploring Society’s unique approach, based around Adventure, Knowledge and Personal Development, to the beautiful, vast landscapes of two countries.
Before you join us on an overseas expedition, you will be invited to a Briefing Weekend and a UK expedition where you will build on existing outdoor skills and attend briefings designed to prepare you for life on expedition. It is expected that 24 Young Explorers will have the opportunity to go on the overseas expedition in the Saimaa Lakes, Finland.
This is an exclusive opportunity for young people to experience the diversity of the UK and explore the large natural forests and the wide waters of the Saimaa Lakes in Finland. You will need to have a passport which is in date for the duration of the overseas expedition.
- Closed for 2021
- Age 16-21
- Explorers to fundraise towards the charity
- Expedition cancelled
- UK | Saimaa Lakes, Finland
- Visa not required for British passport holders
- Some vaccinations are needed (further details given nearer the time)
Epic for personal development, both physical and mental
- British Exploring Society Expedition Certificate
- John Muir Explorer Award Certificate
- Support with your Duke of Edinburgh Award (residential only)
- Participation in Next Steps
- Lifetime membership of British Exploring Society
- Support to continue your development journey after expedition
- Challenge yourself physically and mentally to try something new
- Work towards a Fundraising Challenge to develop your confidence and gain invaluable skills to help you in adult life and employment
- Explore the natural world, being mentored and supported by expert leaders, expedition medics, scientists and adventure professionals
- Learn how to live in the outdoors, camping in the wild using Trangia stoves
- Build your character, resilience, determination and teamworking ability while exploring amazing wilderness
EXPLORE IMAGES FROM LAST YEAR
It doesn't matter where your starting point is; you'll return with more confidence in your own abilities; greater resilience, determination and courage - and a sense of self-belief that will stay with you for life.
- Accommodation (tents) and food for the duration of the programme
- Supervision from a qualified leadership team including Adventure Leaders, Youth Leaders and a Doctor
- Provision for the training and orientation phase including expedition safety, first aid and navigation.
- Use of equipment necessary for the completion of the expedition including tents, cooking equipment, sleeping bags, compasses and navigation equipment and safety equipment as necessary
- Waterproof trousers, waterproof jacket, fleece, walk boots and socks and large rucksack for the UK Expedition and Overseas Expedition
- Flights and coach travel within Finland
What is not provided?
- You will have to apply for/renew your passport where necessary; costs relating to this are not covered by the programme
- In most cases, you will be expected to make your own way to designated meeting points (coach stops) at the start of each expedition. The costs associated with travel to meeting points will not be covered by the programme
- Transport to the airport on the day of departure from the UK
- Spending money – there will be little opportunity to spend money in Finland, however you should be aware that on the few occasions they may have access to local shops, any purchases made will be at your own expense
- Personal kit except what has been previously outlined on this page.