Pinnacle Wild Leadership Programme
Explore the outdoors, Find Your Fire and learn to survive in the remote wilderness as you become a leader and champion for the environment.
Ready to Find Your Fire? Start your wild leadership journey today.
A brand new programme focused on leadership and environmental stewardship – The Pinnacle Wild Leadership Programme offers the most stretching knowledge and personal development opportunity at British Exploring Society.
When you sign up for the Pinnacle Wild Leadership Programme, you are committing to and joining a personal development programme with access to highly experienced Leaders first and foremost. Because of that, the location of the final expedition will only be revealed after the team has been selected for the 2024 programme.
As an integral part of the programme, you will be part of a small team travelling to a remote location overseas with limited access to communities and where you will learn to live without every-day comforts. You will be in that remote overseas wilderness for 4 weeks. Your final overseas location will include significant physical challenges, as well as infinite learning opportunities.
- Applications are now closed
- Age 18-25
- Explorers to fundraise towards the charity
- 4 Weeks, August 2024 (Dates TBC)
- UK Training in April and then in May/June (Dates TBC)
- Location to be revealed at a later date
- Visa not likely to be required for British Passport holders (TBC)
- Some vaccinations may be needed (further details given nearer the time)
"I haven't regretted it for a second of my life."
Double Olympic rowing champion Alex Gregory MBE FBES
About the course
The course has been designed by our Expedition Training and Leadership Advisor, who is a Leading Practitioner of the Institute for Outdoor learning and a Fellow of the RGS, with many years of experience in youth development and expedition leadership. It has been designed to support you to develop yourself as an ethical Leader and to understand what leadership means in the context of environmental sustainability and the great outdoors.
This programme is unique, as all learning and development takes place outside the ‘classroom’ and gives you an opportunity to experience the wilderness whilst exploring sustainability and your own capacity as an emerging leader. Following a video application and a phone interview, you will be selected to join the first Pinnacle Wild Leadership cohort.
The programme will be delivered through seven modules from March – August culminating in you putting what you have learnt into practice on an extended 4-week overseas expedition together. The location of the final expedition will only be revealed after the team has been selected for the 2024 programme.
During your two expeditions (one in the UK and one overseas) you will be part of a Fire (group) working alongside the Leadership team to deliver your transformational expedition.
Led by experts, the expedition has been designed to take you out of your comfort zone in a challenging yet safe environment, with a real focus on the skills and personal development you will gain from the experience. The safety and support of our Explorers is the cornerstone on which we build and develop an expedition from conception through to departure and return.
The vast majority of young people return from our expeditions with a wealth of new-found practical skills, new friends-for-life and a real sense of personal development – all of which can have tangible benefits for the future.
- An adventurous expedition programme built on 90 years of experience
- An Induction Weekend, Training Weekend and UK Training Expedition to prepare you for your overseas expedition
- British Exploring Society Expedition Certificate
- Support with your Duke of Edinburgh Award (residential only)
- Participation in the ‘Explorer Celebrations’ reunion and reflection event after expedition
- Lifetime membership of British Exploring Society
- Support to continue your development journey after expedition
- You will have the opportunity to explore the natural world, being mentored and supported by expert leaders, alongside expedition medics, scientists and adventure professionals
- Work towards a Fundraising Challenge to develop your confidence and gain invaluable skills to help you in adult life and employment
- Enjoy a diverse programme of scientific study and research and take part in creative media projects to document your expedition.
- Build your character, resilience, determination and teamworking ability while exploring amazing wilderness
- The opportunity for DofE participants to complete the residential section of their Duke of Edinburgh’s Award.