Start your journey to the mountains
This expedition will wake you up to high-altitude trekking, as you explore the isolated peaks, wild-flower meadows and unique culture of Kyrgyzstan.
Taking part in exploration and science and media projects, you’ll work together on a high-altitude adventure, exploring dramatic ridge lines, lush valleys and meeting the nomadic Kyrgyz herders who are kindly hosting our basecamp in their pastures. As night falls, you will cook dinner and reflect around a campfire, exchanging stories of spotting wildlife such as golden eagles and ibex – and maybe even the elusive snow leopard.
Led by experts, the expedition has been designed to take you out of your comfort zone (there will be tough climbs as well as unforgettable highs) in a challenging yet safe environment, with a real focus on the skills and personal development you will gain from the experience. The safety and support of our explorers is the cornerstone on which we build and develop an expedition from conception through to departure and return.
The vast majority of young people return from our expeditions with a wealth of new-found practical skills, new friends-for-life and a real sense of personal development – all of which can have tangible benefits for the future.
- Closed for 2022 applications, enquire for 2023
- Age 16-25
- Explorers to fundraise towards the charity
- 26th July - 30th August 2022 ( -3/+3 days, dates TBC)
- Visa not Required for British passport holders
- Some vaccinations may be needed (further details given nearer the time)
It has taught me that I am capable of anything as long as I am brave enough and put my mind to it.
- An adventurous expedition programme built on 90 years of experience
- A UK Training Week to prepare you for going overseas
- British Exploring Society Expedition Certificate
- John Muir Explorer Award Certificate
- Support with your Duke of Edinburgh Award (residential only)
- Participation in Next Steps reunion and reflection event
- Lifetime membership of British Exploring Society
- Support to continue your development journey after expedition
- Live at high-altitude and explore the natural world, mentored and supported by expert outdoor leaders, expedition medics, scientists and adventure professionals
- Work towards a Fundraising Challenge to develop your confidence and gain invaluable skills to help you in adult life and employment
- Enjoy a diverse programme of scientific study and research and take part in creative media projects to document your expedition.
- Build your character, resilience, determination and teamworking ability while exploring amazing wilderness
- The opportunity for DofE participants to complete the residential section of their Duke of Edinburgh’s Award.
- Work towards your John Muir Award (Explorer Level) for environmental awareness and conservation
Join us. You are about to change your life
EXPLORE IMAGES FROM previous expeditions
It doesn't matter where your starting point is; you'll return with more confidence in your own abilities; greater resilience, determination and courage - and a sense of self-belief that will stay with you for life.
‘Five weeks in the Zara Valley has been an experience of a lifetime. Trekking to the highest peaks, battling altitude, the crisp ice as we scaled the glaciers… What an incredible adventure. I am not only taking away memories, I am taking home a wider appreciation for the environment.’ Jennie, Himalaya 2017
Jennie - Himalaya Explorer
I loved every minute of what was a life changing experience with some amazing people. I feel I learnt valuable skills and am now in a position to go on to do an awful lot more than I would otherwise have been able to.
Isaac - Himalaya Explorer
The expedition has been a life changing adventure that I definitely didn't expect, with some incredible memories and some amazing people that won’t ever be forgotten.
Harriet - Himalaya Explorer
Wow! What an expedition. This has undoubtedly been the best 5 weeks of my life. Some of the best moments have been summiting peaks, listening to the Dali Lama and going on 2 glaciers. I have found all the Science really interesting and have learnt so much about the world and myself. I would recommend this to all young people as it really has been amazing.
Katherine - Himalaya Explorer